Butterfly valves are smaller and lighter than the ball, gate or globe valves. The simple construction and operating principles make the butterfly valves a cost-effective option. The valve can be modified to minimise fluid losses by altering the disk.
The soft-seated butterfly valve is designed to be cost-effective. With the soft-seated valve, only the disc, stem and seat touch the fluid, making it possible for the material of the body to be constructed of cheaper grade materials. Hence, many soft-seated butterfly valves are configurated in cast iron with stainless steel trim and EPDM seat.
The flow of fluids is controlled by the disc or damper, which rotates on a central stem. The butterfly valve rotates to 90⁰ or for a quarter turn to open or close the valve. Other specific applications are possible by opening the valve at fixed points of 10⁰, 20⁰, 40⁰ and 45⁰. Most butterfly valve types are bi-directional and can be rotated in either direction.
Butterfly valves are suitable for the following applications
- Most butterfly valve types are suitable for controlling the flow of air, powders and fluids.
- Special polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) lined butterfly valves are available for applications involving acids and aggressive chemicals.
- Metal Inconel or RPTFE seats with a carbon or stainless-steel body, is available on request for application in extreme temperatures and pressures.
Butterfly valves are used in the following locations
- Manufacturing factories
- Oil refineries and oil rigs
- Power stations
- Water treatment plants
- Gas works
All butterfly valve types supplied by Omega Valves comply with the following standards
- BS OHSAS 18001
- DIN EN ISO 14001
- DIN EN ISO 9001
- Fire Safe
- GOST (outbound)
- TA Luft
- API 609 & API 598
There are six butterfly valve types
- Wafer Butterfly Valve
- Lugged Butterfly Valve
- Double Flanged Butterfly Valve
- Concentric Butterfly Valve
- Double Offset Butterfly Valve
- Triple Offset Butterfly Valve
The butterfly valves are available in the following materials
- Cast iron
- Carbon steel
- Stainless steel
The seat for the butterfly valves are available in the following material and sizes
- EPDM – The seat is available from 2 inches to 24 inches.
- NBR, VITON, and PTFE – The seat is available from 2 inches to 12 inches.
- Metal or RPTFE seats (for the double offset and triple offset butterfly valve) – The size ranges from 2 inches to 24 inches.
Larger sizes are available on request. For engineered butterfly valves, get in touch with us now. We will be pleased to offer you a complete solution to fulfil your requirements.